When will the museum re-open and what will be the opening hours?
The museum has now re-opened. Opening hours are 10am to 5pm (last entry 4pm), Tuesday-Sunday. The Courtyard is open seven days a week.
How will you keep visitors safe?
The safety of our visitors and staff team are of paramount importance and every aspect of the museum’s operation has been risk assessed, with measures put in place to ensure we follow the Government guidelines. We have also achieved the Visit England national standard ‘We’re Good To Go’.
- We expect visitors to adhere to the two-metre social distancing guideline, and as such the museum will have reduced capacity.
- The museum will operate a one way system and we request our visitors respect one another by waiting for visitors ahead of them to move on before entering the next space.
- There will be signage and staff advising visitors at the entrance and throughout the museum.
- The museum has implemented an increased cleaning and hygiene regime throughout the castle and toilets.
- Hand sanitiser is available at key points.
- Staff will wear face coverings when patrolling through the museum spaces and will maintain two-metre distancing.
Do I need to book a time slot?
There is no need to book a time slot to visit, though we will have reduced capacity which means you may have to queue on busier days.
Do I need to queue?
We expect visitors to adhere to the two-metre social distancing and as such the museum will have reduced capacity and we will manage the flow of visitors in the museum spaces. This could lead to queues building at busy times.
These queues will be held outside of the museum and we ask you to consider the weather on the day of your visit and wear suitable clothing and bring supplies such as sunscreen, a hat or a drink of water.
Will the museum be taking and recording my personal details?
Yes, the opening up of the economy following the Covid-19 outbreak is being supported by NHS Test and Trace. We will assist this service by keeping a temporary record of our visitors for 21 days, and assist NHS Test and Trace with requests for that data if needed. This could help contain clusters or outbreaks.
Please remember, all visitors now need to provide contact details or use the app, not just the lead booker.
Do I need to wear a face covering or other PPE?
It is mandatory for visitors to museums to wear face coverings unless medically exempt. We will be asking visitors to adhere to this legislation before they enter the building.
We will also be asking visitors to adhere to two-metre social distancing at all times.
Is the museum shop open?
The shop is now open. We kindly request visitors use the card payment system (contactless up to £45) over cash.
You can also visit the Portsmouth Museums online shop at: https://museumshops.uk/shop/portsmouthmuseums/
Are the toilets open?
The toilets will be open when we return, but access is restricted to one person at a time.
The museum has implemented an increased cleaning regime of the toilets, and we ask that visitors also take extra care with personal hygiene.
Is the café open?
The Courtyard cafe is open seven days a week. Currently it can only serve food for outdoor dining or takeaway, but will be able to re-open indoors for table service from 17 May.
Has the museum offer changed?
We have made some small changes to ensure the safety of our visitors but are confident that the museum offer remains as close to normal as possible.
What cleaning/hygiene procedures are in place?
- Southsea Castle has implemented an increased cleaning and hygiene regime throughout the museum and toilets.
- Hand sanitiser is also available at key points.
- Although we will be cleaning our interactives regularly, we advise visitors who use the interactives to sanitise their hands before and after use.