Portsmouth Museums and Visitor Service is seeking enthusiastic volunteers to enhance the experience of visitors across its museums and heritage sites. You would be working alongside the Front of House team to ensure the smooth day to day running of the Museums and also working in the exhibitions interpreting the displays and interacting with visitors.
The roles would cover the six Portsmouth City Council museums and heritage sites which attract thousands of visitors each year:
- Portsmouth Museum
- D-Day Museum and Overlord Embroidery
- Natural History Museum, Cumberland House
- Southsea Castle
- Charles Dickens Birthplace
- Eastney Beam Engine House
If you're interested in volunteering at Southsea Castle, take a look at the role below and get in touch.
Southsea Castle - Museum and Heritage Volunteer
Purpose of role: To enhance the experience of visitors to Southsea Castle by interpreting the galleries, guiding visitors around the site and supporting the day to day running of the Castle.
The role could involve the following tasks:
• Welcoming visitors to the Castle
• Providing information to visitors about the Castle
• Guiding visitors around the Castle (possibly in costume)
• Gathering visitor feedback information
• Patrolling and checking the Castle and the grounds
• Undertaking tasks to ensure the Castle operates effectively
• Getting involved in events and activities
• Providing support for the Front of House staff as and when necessary
Skills and qualities
• Enthusiasm and commitment for the role
• A friendly disposition and ability to relate to visitors
• A willingness to work as part of a team
• A commitment to learn and develop skills
• A desire to learn about Southsea Castle and its role in the history of Portsmouth.
• Ability to communicate this knowledge with visitors
Time commitment: Ideally we would hope volunteers could commit to one or maybe 2 days a week (10:00-17:00) but we understand that you will have other commitments on your time. There may also be some weekend, evening and Bank Holiday work. ( Southsea Castle is closed on Mondays)
Support and training: Volunteering is an excellent opportunity to learn new skills and develop existing ones. You will receive on the job training relevant to your role and ongoing support whilst volunteering. This will include
• initial interview and site visit
• induction programme
• regular meetings and updates
Training needs will be identified at the interview including;
• customer care
• visitor interaction and gallery interpretation
• tour guiding
• health and safety
• fire evacuation
• equality and diversity
• patrolling and safety checks
• object handling
What will you gain in return?
This is an excellent opportunity to gain first-hand experience of public facing roles in a busy heritage environment. Whether you are looking for some practical work experience or a friendly environment to learn new skills and share your passion for Tudor history in Portsmouth and it's heritage, you will benefit from volunteering at Southsea Castle.
• Experience of working with visitors in a museum and the day to day running of a museum.
• Learning new skills related to the heritage environment
• Indepth knowledge of Tudor history and the history of Portsmouth
Please note - this role requires being outside, climbing up and down staircases, walking through tunnels and being on the ramparts of the Castle.
Next steps……If you are interested in applying for a role or would like more information about volunteering please email: firstname.lastname@example.org or phone 023 9283 4779 or 023 9243 7791.